Health Care Coordinator – Prospect Residence – Bronx, NY
Comunilife is a premier provider of housing, mental health, and HIV/AIDS services in New York City. Our programs benefit more than 2,500 people each year – helping them overcome challenges related to extreme poverty; chronic homelessness; serious behavioral and medical issues; and linguistic and acculturation barriers.
Our staff members enjoy the benefits of working with a supportive team of supervisors and peers; of receiving in-depth training and ongoing opportunities for professional development; and of being part of an organization that recognizes, celebrates, and promotes personal and cultural strengths.
We are looking for a Health Care Coordinator for our Prospect Residence. Prospect Residence is Comunilife’s first residence for seniors and for mixed populations. Located in the Bronx, this seven-story “green” building has 60 studio apartments: 35 tenants are older New Yorkers with HIV/AIDS and 25 are low-income seniors from the community.
The Health Care Coordinator is responsible for providing health education and counseling to the HIV/AIDS clients. The Health Care Coordinator must be capable of comprehending complex public health issues and have the ability to articulate recommended prevention strategies. Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Conducting health assessments and, in collaboration with case mangers, assisting in the development of long and short term health related goals.
- Providing assistance in accessing primary medical care; assistance with adherence to medication regiments; activities for daily living; nutritional services; prevention with positives; and other necessary services to clients to increase their capacity for independent living. Also, monitor and ensure that clients are linked to needed services.
- Maintaining an ongoing awareness of clients’ medical conditions so that services are appropriate to changing needs.
- Coordinating health & medical services with the Clinical Team on as needed basis.
- Informing clients of clinical trial programs in HIV/AIDS Programs. Providing clients and staff with ongoing health information. Coordinating and disseminating health information to a wide array of community groups via general correspondence, email, and grassroots outreach.
- Responsible for weekly groups following the Wellness Self-Management model and regarding new research and modalities related to HIV/AIDS health issues. Representing Comunilife in an array of public meetings to promote effective public and HIV/AIDS strategies. Organizing and implementing workshops for clients and staff on health issues especially HIV/AIDS. Networking with community based organizations to improve quality of life for residents. Serving as liaison to the public, ensuring that interactions with Comunilife are efficient and customer-service oriented.
- Providing quarterly training to staff on current HIV/AIDS issues and infection control. Recruiting, coordinating and selecting appropriate HIV/AIDS speakers to enhance outreach work, especially to non-English community.
- Providing all pertinent documentation in clinical chart including medical and nutritional assessments.
- Assisting in the development and organization of an annual agency wide client conference.
- Accompanying clients to medical visits and providing relevant HIV/AIDS education, as needed.
- Performing any other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of health issues, i.e., principles and practices of Health Education, and the HIV/AIDS Program regulations.
- Responsible, organized, effective and efficient.
- Ability to perform within a team and accomplish multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Communication skills (effective listening, verbal and written).
- Community minded, patient, creative, flexible, compassionate, and culturally sensitive to persons who are diagnosed with severe and persistent mental illness. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with other Comunilife employees, Federal, State, and City officials, professional and technical groups, clients, and the general public.
- BSW, Nursing, Bachelors of Science/Health Education/Public Health preferred; and two (2) years full-time satisfactory experience in (a) developing public health education materials, planning educational presentations or workshops, evaluating health education programs (b) presenting public health education programs; and/or (c) counseling in areas such as communicable diseases, substance abuse, assault, sexual abuse, and/or family planning.
- Preference given to persons with direct HIV/AIDS work experience.
- Bilingual, bicultural in Spanish preferred.
- HIV/AIDS certificates/trainings or experience with Community Health Education/Public Health.
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and an excellent and comprehensive program of benefits for eligible employees that includes: health, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability, flexible spending accounts, pension, 401K and paid time off.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to the specific job title for which you are applying when submitting your application. Cover letters and resumes may also be faxed to Human Resources at 212-564-3445.
Comunilife is an equal opportunity employer.