Creative Arts Specialist- Dona Rosita II, Brooklyn, NY
Comunilife is a premier provider of housing, mental health, and HIV/AIDS services in New York City. Our programs benefit more than 2,500 people each year – helping them overcome challenges related to extreme poverty; chronic homelessness; serious behavioral and medical issues; and, linguistic and acculturation barriers.
Our staff members work with a supportive team of supervisors and peers, receive in-depth training and ongoing opportunities for professional development, and, are part of an organization that recognizes, celebrates, and promotes personal and cultural strengths.
We are looking for a Creative Arts Specialist to offer activities for clients with HIV/AIDS and mental illness living at Dona Rosita II, a congregate housing facility at 750 Rockaway Avenuein Brooklyn. The Creative Arts Therapist will develop activities including art, drama, sports, music, games, discussion, and process groups to create an environment where clients can relate to each other and staff by feeling encouraged, supported, and engaged.
- Cultivating an environment of caring that offers individuals a chance to develop positive relationships and connections with peers and other residents.
- Maintaining a curriculum of dynamic and engaging daily activities, outings (libraries,
museums, cultural events, etc.), and therapeutic groups that provide opportunities for psychosocial enrichment.
- Collaborating with other programs to plan activities.
- Creating opportunities through activities that promote cultural self-awareness, self-esteem, ethical behavior, compassion, integrity, patience, respect, responsibility, and social consciousness.
- Serving as a resource to staff at other facilities in need of assistance in generating and planning activities.
- Identifying psychosocial needs of clients, communicating these needs to case management staff and developing individualized strategies for addressing these needs.
- Identifying and developing relationships with community providers who offer psychosocial enrichment activities.
- Maintaining timely and accurate documentation of services provided and generating weekly and monthly reports as needed.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of principles and practices of psycho-social rehabilitation with chronic/clinically ill individuals.
- Knowledge of HRA Supportive Housing Program Desk Guide
- Responsible, organized, effective, and efficient. Ability to perform multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Strong communication skills (verbal, writing and active listening)
- Community minded, patient, creative, flexible, compassionate, and culturally sensitive to persons who are living with HIV/AIDS and/or diagnosed with severe and persistent mental illness.
- Ability to maintain an attitude of professionalism, collegiality, and optimism with both staff and peers.
- Ability to lead spontaneous appropriate activities when needed.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Minimum Bachelors Degree in Behavioral Science or related area
- Two (2) years of experience in Art Therapy, Employment and Educational counseling, training and referrals particularly with HIV+/AIDS affected populations and/or substance abuse individuals.
- Preference given to persons with experience in congregate/scattered site housing programs
- Bi-lingual and bi-cultural in Spanish.
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and an excellent and comprehensive program of benefits for eligible employees that includes: health, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability, flexible spending accounts, pension, 401K and paid time off.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume with salary requirements to: email@example.com. Please refer to the specific job title for which you are applying when submitting your application. Cover letters and resumes may also be faxed to Human Resources at 212-564-3445.
Comunilife is an equal opportunity employer.